Looking For A Specific Show...

Friday, September 30, 2016

Luke Cage Season Premiere Quick Thoughts


Decent performances, decent character introductions, and decent action considering the small tidbits that we do get towards the end of the episode. That's the one key word [decent] that kept repeating in my mind after watching the season premiere and thinking about everything that I either liked or disliked. It's all pretty average in the end considering everything that the Netflix corner of the MCU has offered up so far with its deep character driven storytelling with Jessica Jones and high quality entertainment overall with Daredevil.


However, it's the overall art direction within the color pallet and musical choices that really stuck out to me in a pretty profound manner. Luke Cage not only looks and sounds great, but it also beautifully presents a sense of culture that is rarely shown in the world of live action comic book properties these days, so I do have to give credit to the studio for doing his part of the world right by inserting a strong sense of atmosphere to the setting and overall presentation.


I also really enjoyed the MCU easter eggs thrown in here for the most part (especially towards Justin Hammer who was one of the most underrated and entertaining villains in the franchise thus far). There's also the brief mention of the events that took place towards the end of Jessica Jones which majorly affected him both emotionally and medically. Speaking of which, I more than highly recommend watching that series before walking slightly aimlessly throughout Luke Cage as he is introduced much better there in my opinion with a story arc involving the death of his ex-wife (who can be seen briefly in a photo during the premiere).


Much like the MCU films, in order to get the full experience of watching these character and/or ensemble stories play out, one should venture through all of the other properties chronologically to fully take in and intimately experience all of the events that transpires throughout the history of the world where these characters live in as it continues to build. This is even more of a mandatory request when characters are closely connected with each other (as Luke and Jessica Jones was during her series).


With all things considered here with the series premiere, I do look forward to seeing what Luke Cage has to offer, but I can't say that I'm beyond hyped over the moon at the moment as I was going in. I'm getting the feeling that, much like Jessica Jones ironically, this will end up being one of those shows that takes its time in setting things up properly before some of the more eventful moments start to kick in (or the geek out moments as I like to call them). Until then, I'll have my snacks set up, drinks ready, and hours planned out beforehand for some good old binge watching as I can confidently say at the moment, "Netflix...I think you might've just done it again".


Bonus Content

MCU Easter Eggs
I enjoyed the few shout outs to other parts of the Marvel Cinematic Universe such as Hammer Tech weapons (Justin Hammer from Ironman 2) and a couple of name drops towards the Avengers via a bootleg DVD salesman possibly selling footage from the Civil War or Ultron event.

Episode Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment